Niemier and Taflanidis among Joyce Award Winners
Twenty-one University of Notre Dame faculty members have received Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C., Awards for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, and three faculty and staff have been honored with Dockweiler Awards for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising.
The awards are presented by the Office of the Provost, but recipients are selected through a process that includes peer and student nominations.
The Dockweiler Award winners are:
• Daniel A. Graff, history
• Alison K. Levey, Mendoza College of Business Dean’s Office
• Priscilla W. Wong, Campus Ministry
The 21 winners of Joyce teaching excellence awards represent faculty who have had a profound influence on undergraduate students through sustained exemplary teaching. Faculty committees in each of seven disciplinary areas review the peer and student nominations.
The Joyce Award recipients are:
• Carl B. Ackermann, finance
• Brian M. Baker, chemistry and biochemistry
• Christine A. Becker, film, television, and theater
• Steven J. Brady, first year of studies/history
• Mark A. Caprio, physics
• Patrick J. Clauss, University Writing Program
• Kristen Collett-Schmitt, finance
• Giles E. Duffield, biological sciences
• David W. Gasperetti, German and Russian languages and literatures
• Dawn M. Gondoli, psychology
• Patrick N. Griffin, history
• Sara L. Maurer, English
• Joyelle McSweeney, English
• Michael T. Niemier, computer science and engineering
• Kathleen A. Peterson, chemistry and biochemistry
• Susan H. Rosato, political science
• Siiri S. Scott, film, television, and theater
• Thomas A. Stapleford, program of liberal studies
• Stephan A. Stolz, mathematics
• Alexandros A. Taflanidis, civil and environmental engineering and earth
• Michelle A. Whaley, biological sciences
The undergraduate teaching award is supported by a gift from the late Father Joyce’s classmates in the Class of 1937. This is the eighth year that advisers and student mentors are being honored through an award supported by the Julia Stearns Dockweiler Charitable Foundation.