Adjunct Assistant Professor
Adjunct Assistant Professor
College of Engineering
Postdoc Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
Ph.D. University of California Irvine, 2009
B.S. Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 2003
Dr. Ardekani is currently the Rev. John Cardinal O’Hara, C.S.C., Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Notre Dame. She is advising five PhD students and two postdoctoral researchers and co-advising an exchange PhD student. Prior to joining Notre Dame, She was a Shapiro Postdoctoral Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology under supervision of Gareth McKinley. She is graduated from University of California Irvine with an M.S. and Ph.D. in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering under supervision of Roger Rangel and Daniel Joseph. She received the Society of Women Engineers and Amelia Earhart awards in 2007, Schlumberger Foundation faculty for the future grant in 2009, and NSF CAREER award in 2012. The results of her research have been presented in ninety five journal articles, conferences, book chapters, and invited talks. Her scientific papers are published in premiere refereed journals such as Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, Physical Review Letters, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Physics of Fluids, and Journal of Computational Physics. She presented twenty invited lectures at different conferences, workshops, and institutions to name a few: SES annual meeting, Workshop on Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research, Workshop on physics of bacterial community, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, UIUC, Penn State, Duke, BU, and Brown. She has served as a reviewer for several archival journals and a number of conferences and NSF panels and chaired and organized sessions at APS/DFD, SES, and EMI/PMC annual meetings.
- S. Wang, A.M. Ardekani “Swimming of a model ciliate near an air-liquid interface,” Physicsal Review E, Volume 87, 063010, 2013.
- A. Karimi, S.H. Yazdi, A.M. Ardekani, “Hydrodynamic mechanisms of cell and particle trapping in microfluidics,” Biomicrofluidics, Volume 7, 021501, 2013.
- S.H. Yazdi, A.M. Ardekani, “Bacterial aggregation and biofilm formation in a vortical flow,” Biomicrofluidics, Volume 6, 044114, 2012.
- S. Wang, A.M. Ardekani “Inertial Squirmer,” Physics of Fluids, Volume 24, 101902, 2012.
- A.M. Ardekani, E. Gore, “Emergence of a limit cycle for swimming microorganisms in a vortical flow of a viscoelastic fluid,” Physical Review E, Volume 85, 056309, 2012.
- S. Wang, A.M. Ardekani “Unsteady swimming of small organisms,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume 702, 286-297, 2012.
- A. Doostmohammadi, R. Stocker, A.M. Ardekani "Low Reynolds number swimming at pycnoclines," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 109, 10, 3856-3861, 2012.
- A.M. Ardekani, V. Sharma, G.H. McKinley, “Dynamics of Bead Formation, Filament Thinning, and Breakup in Weakly Viscoelastic Jets,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume 665, 46-56, 2010.
- A.M. Ardekani, R. Stocker, “Stratlets: low Reynolds number point-force solutions in a stratified fluid,” Physical Review Letters, 105, 084502, 2010.
- A.M. Ardekani, D.D. Joseph, “Instability of stationary liquid sheets,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 106, 13, 4992-4996, 2009.
- A.M. Ardekani, D.D. Joseph, D. Dunn-Rankin, R.H. Rangel, “Particle-wall collision in a viscoelastic fluid,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume 633, 475-483, 2009.
- A.M. Ardekani, S. Dabiri, R.H. Rangel, “Deformation of a droplet in a particulate shear flow,” Physics of Fluids, Volume 21, 093302, 2009.
- A.M. Ardekani, S. Dabiri, R.H. Rangel, “Collision of multi-particle and general shape objects in a viscous fluid,” Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 227, 10094-10107, 2008.
- A.M. Ardekani, R.H. Rangel, D.D. Joseph, “Two spheres in a free stream of a second-order fluid,” Physics of Fluids, Volume 20, Issue 6, 2008.
- A.M. Ardekani, R.H. Rangel, “Numerical investigation of particle-particle and particle-wall collisions in a viscous fluid,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume 596, 437-466, 2008.
- A.M. Ardekani, R.H. Rangel, D.D. Joseph, “Motion of a sphere normal to a wall in second-order fluid” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume 587, 163-172, 2007.
- A.M. Ardekani, R.H. Rangel, “Unsteady motion of two solid spheres in Stokes flow,” Physics of Fluids, Volume 18, Issue 10, 2006.
Summary of Activities/Interests
Dr. Ardekani’s research interests focus on fluid dynamics, complex fluids, biofluids, micro/nanofluids, and multiphase flows that are relevant to biomedical devices, energy, and environmental applications. She is currently a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Physical Society, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Society of Rheology, and American Chemical Society.