College of Engineering
Office: 301 Cushing Hall
Ph.D., Air Force Institute of Technology, 1975
Professor Jumper joined Notre Dame after a career as an Air Force officer serving as Engineer, Scientist, Educator and head of a Division of the Air Force Weapons Laboratory. His research activities in the Air Force and at Notre Dame have been in Lasers and Optics, Fluid Dynamics, Reacting Flows, Unsteady Aerodynamics, Turbomachines and aircraft wake dynamics.
Currently he is actively involved in laser interactions with turbulence (Aero-Optics). He directs the Aero-Optics Group within FlowPAC. As part of the activities in the Aero-Optics Group, he is the principal investigator for the Airborne Aero-Optics Laboratory (AAOL). The AAOL is a flying laboratory that investigates aero effects on airborne laser systems that involve flying two transonic Falcon 10 jet aircraft. Recent publications in this area can be found at the Aero-Optics web website: http://www.nd.edu/~aoptics/.
- S. Gordeyev, N. De Lucca, E. Jumper, K. Hird, T.J. Juliano, J.W. Gregory, J. Thordahl and D.J. Wittich, “ Comparison of Unsteady Pressure Fields on Turrets with Different Surface Features using Pressure Sensitive Paint ”, Experiments in Fluids, 2014.
- S. Gordeyev, A. E. Smith, J.A. Cress and E.J. Jumper, “ Experimental studies of aero-optical properties of subsonic turbulent boundary layers", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2014.
- Nightingale, A.M., Goodwine, B., Lemmon, M., and Jumper, E.J., “Phase-Locked-Loop Adaptive-Optic Controller and Simulated Shear Layer Correction”, AIAA Journal, 51(11), pp. 2714-2726, 2013.
- Abado, S., Gordeyev, S. and Jumper, E., “Approach for two-dimensional velocity mapping,” Journal of Optical Engineering, 52(7), 071402, 2013.
- Rennie, M., Goorskey, D., Whiteley M.R. and Jumper, E.J., “Wavefront Measurements of a Laser-Induced Breakdown Spark in Still Air,” Applied Optics, 51(13), pp. 2306-2314, 2012.
- Vukasinovic, B., Glezer, A., Gordeyev, S. and Jumper, E., "Flow Control for Aero-Optics Application”, Experiments in Fluids, 54, p. 1492, 2013.
Summary of Activities/Interests
Aero-optics, Turbulence and Shear Flows, Adaptive Optics, Electro-Optical Systems and Instrumentation.
Courses: Thermodynamics; Aerospace Propulsion; Physical Gas Dynamics; Aerodynamics; Viscous Flow; Introduction to Aeronautics; Rocket Propulsion; Space Systems.