College of Engineering
B.Sc. Biotechnology for Processes and Products Innovation, University of Bari, Italy, 2007
M.Sc. Environmental and Industrial Biotechnology, University Sapienza, Rome, Italy, 2010
Fabrizio received his B.Sc. in Biotechnology for processes and products innovation from University of Bari, Italy in 2007 and his M.Sc. in Environmental and industrial biotechnology from University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy in 2010. During his M.Sc. he worked on the fate of phytoestrogens in wastewater at the University of Minnesota under the guidance of Dr. Paige Novak. He is now a Ph.D. candidate in Environmental engineering at the University of Notre Dame where he joined Dr. Robert Nerenberg’s lab. His research interests include investigating potential differences between suspended growth and biofilm systems with regards to nitrous oxide emissions.
Summary of Activities/Interests
2010 - present Quantifying fugitive greenhouse gas emissions from biofilm systems. PI Dr. Robert Nerenberg, University of Notre Dame
co-PI Dr. Kartik Chandran, Columbia University. Collaborators: Cristian Picioreanu, TU Delft, Joshua Boltz, CH2MHill.
Funded by Water Environmental Research Foundation (WERF)
2010 - present Use of sulfite as an electron donor for wastewaer denitrification Hampton Roads Sanitary District (HRSD): PI Dr. Robert
Nerenberg, University of Notre Dame co-PI Dr. Charles Bott.
2013 Sulfur-dioxide-based MBfR for wastewater dentrification
2012 Use of methane as an electron donor for wastewater denitrification
ISI Technical Referred Publications
1. Sabba, F., Picioreanu, C., Perez, J., Nerenberg, R. (2015) Hydroxylamine Diffusion Can Enhance N2O Emissions in Nitrifying Biofilms: A Modeling Study. Environmental Science & Technology, 49 (3), pp 1486–1494
2. Szaja, A., Łagód, G., Jaromin-Gleń, K., Sabba, F. (2016) Bioaugmentation of a Sequencing Batch Reactor with Archaea for the Treatment of Reject Water. Journal of Water Chemistry and Technology, Manuscript accepted
3. Sabba, F., Picioreanu, C., Boltz, J.P., Nerenberg, R. (2016) Predicting N2O Emissions from Nitrifying and Denitrifying Biofilms: A Modeling Study, Water Science & Technology¸ Manuscript submitted
4. Sabba, F., Picioreanu, C., Nerenberg, R. (2016) Unique Mechanisms of Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Formation in Denitrifying Biofilms, Environmental Science & Technology, Manuscript submitted
5. Read-Daily, B.L., Sabba, F., Pavissich, J.P., Nerenberg, R. (2016) Kinetics of Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Reduction by Paracoccus pantotrophus. Manuscript in preparation
6. Sabba, F., DeVries, A., Druschel, G., Bott C., Nerenberg R. (2016) Potential of Sulfite as a Supplemental Electron Donor for Water and Wastewater Denitrification. Manuscript in preparation