Summary of Activities/Interests
Structural dynamics and vibration control
Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering - The Pennsylvania State University, 2009
M.S. in Astronautic Engineering - University of Rome "La Sapienza", 2002
M.S. in Aerospace Engineering - University of Rome "La Sapienza", 2000
Dr. Semperlotti is an Assistant Professor in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering department at the University of Notre Dame. He holds a M.S. in Aerospace Engineering and a M.S. in Astronautic Engineering both from the University of Rome “La Sapienza”, and a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University. Dr. Semperlotti directs the Structural Health Monitoring and Dynamics Laboratory in the Fitzpatrick Hall. His research interests include the development of damage detection techniques for aerospace applications as well as structural dynamics and adaptive structures. Some of the current research activities are concerned with the development of power flow based techniques for the detection of a large variety of damage types ranging from fatigue cracks and loose joints in airframe structure to delamination in composites helicopter rotor components.
- Conlon, S. C., Semperlotti, F., “Airframe Vibration and Damping Characteristics: A Study of Flight and Laboratory Test Structures”, J. Noise Contr. Eng.. Vol.60 (5), 2012.
- Sheperd, M., Semperlotti, F., Conlon, S. C., “Structural Intensity Modeling and Simulations for Damage Detection”, J. Vib. Acoust., Vol. 134(5), 2012.
- Kim, G. W., Johnson, D. R., Semperlotti, F., Wang, K.W., “Localization of Breathing Crack Using Combination Tone Nonlinear Response”, Smart Mat. Struct., Vol. 20(5), pp. 55014, 2011.
- Semperlotti, F., Conlon, S. C., Barnard, A. R., "Airframe Structural Damage Detection: An Application of Nonlinear Structural Surface Intensity", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America EL, Vol.129 (4), 2011.
- Kim, G. W., Johnson, D. R., Semperlotti, F., Wang, K.W., "Localization of Breathing Crack Using Combination Tone Nonlinear Response", Smart Materials and Structures,Vol. 20 (5), 2011.
- Semperlotti, F., Conlon, S. C., "Nonlinear Structural Surface Intensity: an Application of Contact Acoustic Nonlinearity to Power Flow based Damage Detection", Applied Physics Letter, Vol.97 (14), 2010.
- Semperlotti, F., Conlon, S. C., "Structural Damage Identification in plates via Nonlinear Structural Intensity Maps", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America EL, Vol.127 (2), 2010.
- Semperlotti, F., Wang, K.W., Smith, E. C., "Localization of a Breathing Crack using Nonlinear Sub-Harmonic Response Signals", Applied Physics Letter, Vol. 95 (25), 2009.
- Semperlotti, F., Wang, K.W., Smith, E. C., "Identification of the Location of a Breathing Crack using Super-Harmonics Response Signals due to System Nonlinearity", AIAA Journal, Vol.47 (9), 2009.