Summary of Activities/Interests
Multiphase and Free Surface Flows
Phase Changes, including Boiling and Solidification
Vortex Flows and Combustion
B.S., University of Iceland, 1980
Sc.M., Brown University, 1982
Ph.D., Brown University 1985
Gretar Tryggvason is the Viola D. Hank Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Notre Dame. He moved from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he was the Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, in 2010. Tryggvason received his doctorate from Brown University in 1985 and spent a year as a postdoctoral researcher at the Courant Institute. After fifteen years as a professor of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics at the University of Michigan, he moved to WPI in 2000. He has also held short term visiting positions at Caltech, NASA Lewis Engineering Research Center, University of Marseilles, and University of Paris VI. Professor Tryggvason is well known for his research on numerical simulations of multiphase and free-surface flows, vortex flows, and flows with phase changes. He is an active member of several professional societies, a fellow of the American Physical Society and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Computational Physics.
- G. Tryggvason, R. Scardovelli and S. Zaleski. "Direct Numerical Simulations of Gas-Liquid Multiphase Flows." Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- L. Lu and G. Tryggvason. "Effect of Bubble Deformability in Turbulent Bubbly Upflow in a Vertical Channel." Physics of Fluids, 20 040701 (2008). Also selected for the May 12, 2008 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
- S. Radl, A. Koynov, G. Tryggvason, and J. G. Khinast. "DNS-based Prediction of the Selectivity of Fast Multiphase Reactions: Hydrogenation of Nitroarenes." Chem Eng Sci. 63 (2008), 3279-3291.
- A. Prosperetti and G. Tryggvason (editors and main contributors). "Computational Methods for Multiphase Flow." Cambridge University Press, 2007. Paperback edition 2009. Reviewed in: J. Fluid Mech., 603 (2008), 474-475; Int'l. J. Multiphase Flow, 34 (2008), 1096-1097.
- J. Lu, A. Fernandez, and G. Tryggvason. "The effect of bubbles on the wall shear in a turbulent channel flow." Physics of Fluids 17 (2005), 095102 (12 pages)