Summary of Activities/Interests
Computational Physics/Mechanics, Multi-scale/Multi-time/Multi-physics Modeling, Computational Materials Science, Numerical Methods, High-performance Computing, Experimental and Numerical Microtomography Based Modeling of Materials.
Additional research information: http://engineering.nd.edu/departments/ame/research/current-research-of-dr.-karel-matous.
Ph.D. Czech Technical University in Prague, 2000
Dr. Karel Matous is an Associate Professor in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Notre Dame. He received his M.S. and Ph.D. in the Theoretical & Applied Mechanics from the Czech Technical University in Prague. Before coming to the University of Notre Dame, he was a Principal Research Scientist and a lead of the computational physics team, as the part of the DOE/NNSA Advanced Simulation and Computing Program in the Computational Science and Engineering Program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His research group focuses on computational mechanics and physics, computational science and engineering, computational materials science, advanced numerical methods, microtomography-based computational and experimental modeling of heterogeneous materials, and multiscale/multitime/multiphysics modeling of complex heterogeneous nonlinear materials and systems. He has authored or co-authored more than 60 journal or conference papers. Two articles from Dr. Matouš’ group have been featured on Science Direct Top 25 Hottest articles in their respective engineering areas. He is a member of ASME, ASCE, AIAA, USACM, and IACM.
- K. Matous, M.G. Kulkarni and P.H. Geubelle, "Multiscale cohesive failure modeling of heterogeneous adhesives", Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 56, 1511–1533 (2008).
- H. Lee, M. Brandyberry, A. Tudor and K. Matous, "Three-dimensional reconstruction of statistically optimal unit cells of polydisperse particulate composites from microtomography", Physical Review E, 80(6), 061301-1 -- 061301-12 (2009).
- K.R. Srinivasan, K. Matous, P.H. Geubelle and T.L. Jackson, "Thermomechanical modeling of regressing heterogeneous propellants", Journal of Computational Physics, 228, 7883–7901(2009).
- M.G. Kulkani, K. Matous and P.H. Geubelle, "Coupled Multi-scale Cohesive Modeling of Failure in Heterogeneous Adhesives", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 84, 916--946 (2010).
- H. Lee, A.S. Gillman and K. Matous, "Computing overall elastic constants of polydisperse particulate composites from microtomographic data", Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 59, 1838--1857 (2011).