Summary of Activities/Interests
Artificial Neutral Networks
Numerical and Analytical Methods
Two-Phase Systems, Stability
Sc.D. - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1975
B.Tech - Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 1968
Mihir Sen completed his undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology in Madras, India in 1968. He started his graduate studies with experiments in turbulence in the Department of Mechanics at the Johns Hopkins University working under the supervision of Professor L.S.G. Kovasnay. He finished it in the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with research on the generation of surface waves by wind with Professor E. Mollo-Christensen. He obtained the degree of Doctor of Science in 1975. He worked for the next ten years in the National Autonomous University of Mexico (U.N.A.M.) in Mexico City. He was one year as Visiting Professor in Cornell University before joining the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering of the University of Notre Dame in 1986. His research is in heat transfer and fluid mechanics. He has worked in several areas including reacting flows, natural and forced convection, flow in porous media, falling films, boiling, MEMS applications, and heat exchangers. His current interest is in thermal control and applications of intelligent systems. He is a Fellow of the ASME.
- A. Pacheco-Vega, W. Franco, H.-C. Chang and M. Sen, Noninear Analysis of Tilted Toroidal Thermosyphon Models, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 45, No. 7, pp. 1379-1391, 2002.
- S. Alotaibi, M. Sen., J.W. Goodwine and K.T. Yang, Numerical Simulation of the Thermal Control of Heat Exchnagers, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A, Vo. 41, pp. 229-244, 2002.
- C.F. Stein, P. Johansson, J. Bergh, L. Löfdahl, M. Sen and M. Gad-el-Hak, An Analytical Asymptotic Solution to a Conjugate Heat Transfer Problem, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 45, pp.2485-2500, 2002.
- A. Pacheco-Vega, M. Sen and K.T. Yang, Simultaneaous Determination of In- and Over-Tube Heat Transfer Correlations in Heat Exchangers by Global Regression, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 1029-1040, 2003.
- W. Franco, M. Sen, K.T. Yang and R. L. McClain, Comparison of Thermal-Hydraulic Network Control Strategies, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, Vol. 217, pp. 35-47, 2003.
- M. Acharya, M. Sen and E. Ramos, Periodicity and Bifurcations in Capillary Tube Boiling with a Concentric Heating Wire, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 46, No. 8, pp. 1425-1442, 2003.
- P.K. Panigrahi, M. Dwivedi, V. Khandelwal and M. Sen, Prediction of Turbulence Statistics Behind a Square Cylinder Using Soft Computing Techniques, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 125, pp. 385-387, 2003.
- A. Valencia and M. Sen, Unsteady Flow and Heat Transfer in Plane Channels with Spatially Periodic Vortex Generators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 46, No. 17, pp. 3189-3199, 2003.