Summary of Activities/Interests
Biomedical device design
Postdoc - Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
Ph.D. - Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005
M.S. - Georgia Institute of Technology, 2000
Dr. Sucosky directs the Multi-Scale Cardiovascular Bioengineering Laboratory (MSCBL) hosted in the Multidisciplinary Research Building. The MSCBL applies state-of-the-art engineering techniques to solve challenges in the cardiovascular field and to improve human health. Specific problems currently studied by Dr. Sucosky include the computational and experimental characterizations of heart valve hemodynamics, the elucidation of the mechnobiological pathways leading to aortic valve calcification, and the exploration and modeling of the relationships between blood flow and heart valve disease. In this highly interactive research program, the knowledge of the flow characteristics in different cardiovascular disorder configurations, and the identification and prediction of the mechanobiological pathways leading to those disorders will guide the development of early medical interventions for the treatment of pathological and congenital cardiovascular conditions.
- Chandra S, Rajamannan NM, Sucosky P. Computational assessment of bicuspid aortic valve wall-shear stress - Implications for calcific aortic valve disease. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2012; http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10237-012-0375-x
- Balachandran K, Sucosky P, Yoganathan AP. Hemodynamics and Mechanobiology of Aortic Valve Inflammation and Calcification. Int J Inflam. 2011; 2011:263870. http://dx.doi.org/10.4061/2011/263870
- Sun L, Rajamannan NM, Sucosky P. Design and Validation of a Novel Bioreactor to Subject Aortic Valve Leaflets to Side-Specific Shear Stress. Ann Biomed Eng. 2011; 2011; 39: 2174-2185. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10439-011-0305-6
- Hoehn D, Sun L, Sucosky P. Role of Pathologic Shear Stress Alterations in Aortic Valve Endothelial Activation. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. 2010; 1: 165-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13239-010-0015-5
- Balachandran K, Sucosky P, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Elevated Cyclic Stretch Induces Aortic Valve Calcification in a Bone Morphogenic Protein Dependent Manner. Am J Pathol. 2010; 177: 49-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2010.090631
- Dasi LP, Simon HA, Sucosky P, Yoganathan AP. Fluid Mechanics of Artificial Heart Valves. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2009; 36: 225-237. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1681.2008.05099.x
- Sucosky P, Elhammali A, Balachandran K, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Altered Shear Stress Stimulates Upregulation of Endothelial VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 in a BMP-4- and TGF-β1-Dependent Pathway. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009; 29: 254-260. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.108.176347
- Bilgen B, Uygun K, Bueno EM, Sucosky P, Barabino GA. Tissue Growth Modeling in a Wavy-Walled Bioreactor. Tissue Eng Part A. 2008; 15: 761-771. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/ten.tea.2008.0078
- Sucosky P, Dasi LP, Paden ML, Fortenberry JD, Yoganathan AP. Assessment of Current Continuous Hemofiltration Systems and Development of a Novel Accurate Fluid Management System for Use in Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Journal of Medical Devices 2008; 2: 035002-1-035002-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.2952818
- Dasi LP, Sucosky P, Yoganathan AP. Letter by Dasi et al. regarding article, “Effect of chronotropy and inotropy on stitch tension in the edge-to-edge mitral repair”. Circulation 2008; 118: e78. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.750695
- Sucosky P, Padala M, Elhammali A, Balachandran K, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Design of an Ex Vivo Culture System to Investigate the Effects of Shear Stress on Cardiovascular Tissue. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 2008; 130: 035001-035008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.2907753
- Balachandran K, Konduri S, Sucosky P, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. An ex vivo study of the biological properties of porcine aortic valves in response to circumferential cyclic stretch. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2006; 34: 1655-1665. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10439-006-9167-8
- Bilgen B, Sucosky P, Neitzel GP, Barabino GA. Flow characterization of a wavy-walled bioreactor for cartilage tissue engineering. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2006; 95: 1009-1022. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bit.20775
- Sucosky P, Osorio DF, Brown JB, Neitzel GP. The fluid mechanics of a spinner-flask bioreactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2004; 85: 34-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bit.10788
Books and Chapters in Books
- Sucosky P., Rajamannan NM. Bicuspid aortic valve: from bench to bedside. In Cardiac Valvular Medicine, Springer; 2012 (in production).
- Sucosky P. Flow Transport Phenomena in Tissue Engineering: Flow Characterization and Modeling of Cartilage Development in a Spinner-Flask Bioreactor. 136 pages, ISBN 9783639162264, VDM Verlag Dr. Müller; June 2009.
- Sucosky P, Dasi LP, Paden M, Yoganathan AP, Fortenberry J. Novel Fluid Management System for Accurate Continuous Hemofiltration in Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Pub #WO/2008/154376, published 12/18/2008.