Summary of Activities/Interests
Flight Stability & Control
Aircraft Wake Dynamics
Wind Turbine Control
Additional research information: http://engineering.nd.edu/departments/ame/research/current-research-of-dr.-robert-nelson.
Ph.D. - Pennsylvania State University, 1974
M.S. University of Notre Dame, 1966
B.S. University of Notre Dame, 1964
Dr. Nelson conducts his research at the Hessert Laboratory for Aerospace Research.
- Nikolic, V.R., Jumper, E.J., and Nelson, R.C., "Modified, Discrete-Vortex Method for Studying the Effect of Wing Loading on Wake Dynamics," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 33, No. 1, January -February 1996.
- Arena, Jr., A.S., Nelson, R.C., and Schiff, L.B., "Directional Control at High Angles of Attack Using Pneumatic Blowing Through a Chined Forebody," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 596-602, May-June 1995.
- Grismer, D.S., Nelson, R.C., and Ely, W.L., "The Influence of Sideslip on Double Delta Wing Aerodynamics," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 451-453, March-April 1995.
- Arena, Jr., A.S., Nelson, R.C., "Measurement of Unsteady Surface Pressure on a Slender Wing Undergoing a Self-Induced Oscillation," Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 414-416, 1994.
- Arena, Jr., A.S., Nelson, R.C., "Experimental Investigations on Limit Cycle Wing Rock of Slender Wings," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 1148-1155, Sept.-Oct. 1994.