Summary of Activities/Interests
Thermoelectrics Energy Conversion
Large Scale Molecular Dynamics Simulation
First-principle Density Functional Theory
Time-Domain Thermal Reflectance (TDTR) Measurement
Ph.D., Michigan State University, 2009
B.S., Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, 2005
Dr. Luo joined Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering in 2012 as an assistant professor after finishing his postdoctoral research in MIT. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State University and B.S. in Energy and Power Engineering from Xi’an Jiaotong University. Dr. Luo’s research focuses on understanding fundamentals of nanoscale heat and mass transfer using computational and experimental techniques and applying the knowledge to the fields of renewable energy, microelectronics thermal management and water treatment.
- T. Luo, A. Bajpayee, A. Muto and G. Chen, “Directional Solvent for Membrane-Free Water Desalination – A Molecular Level Study” J. of App. Phys. 110, 054905 (2011).
- T. Luo, K. Esfarjani, J. Shiomi, A. Henry and G. Chen, “Molecular Dynamics Study of Thermal Transport in Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS)” J. of App. Phys. 109, 074321 (2011).
- A. Bajpayee, T. Luo, A. Muto and G. Chen, “Very Low Temperature Membrane Free Desalination by Directional Solvent Extraction” Energy Environ. Sci. 4, 1672 (2011).
- T. Luo and J. R. Lloyd, “Molecular Dynamics Study of Thermal Transport in GaAs-SAM-GaAs Junctions with Ab-initio Characterization of Thiol-GaAs Bonds” J. of App. Phys. 109, 034301 (2011).
- T. Luo and J. R. Lloyd, “Non-Equilibrium Molecular Dynamics Study of Thermal Energy Transport in Au-SAM-Au Junctions” Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 53, 1 (2010)..
- T. Luo and J. R. Lloyd, “Grand Canonical Monte Carlo Simulation of Hydrogen Adsorption in Different Carbon Nano Structures” Int. J. of Ene. for a Clean Env. 10, 37 (2009).
- T. Luo and J. R. Lloyd, “Ab-initio Molecular Dynamics Study of Nanoscale Thermal Energy Transport” J. Heat Transfer 130, 122403 (2008).