Cushing Hall of Engineering was constructed in 1932 to provide more space for the growing engineering program at Notre Dame. Today, it houses a laboratories, classrooms, and faculty offices. The building was named after John F. Cushing, its principal benefactor, who donated $300,000 toward the construction of a new hall of engineering; the old one had been badly damaged during a 1928 fire. Today, it houses classrooms, laboratories, and faculty and graduate student offices.
Fitzpatrick Hall of Engineering was designed completely continuous with the Cushing Hall of Engineering. Two of the building’s five stories are under ground, and considerably larger than those above ground. These bottom levels house many of the high-tech laboratories in the College. Fitzpatrick Hall also houses departmental offices, classrooms, and a large computer cluster. A total of 146,000 sq. ft., it is named for its principal donor, the Edward B. Fitzpatrick Jr., family. It was dedicated in 1979.
Hessert Laboratory for Aerospace Research
Dedicated in 1991 during the University’s sesquicentennial activities, the 38,000-sq.-ft. Hessert Laboratory for Aerospace Research, named for its benefactors Thomas J. and Marilyn Hennebry Hessert, contains cutting-edge facilities, such as the Advanced Performance Compressor Laboratory, the Gas-Turbine Laboratory, the, the Particle Dynamics Laboratory, the Plasma Flow Control Laboratory, an anechoic chamber, a Mach .05 low-disturbance wind tunnel, an atmospheric wind tunnel, a planar jet facility, high-speed supersonic and transonic wind tunnels, and dedicated machine and electronic shops.
The 25,000-sq.-ft. Multidisciplinary Engineering Research Building, which opened in June of 2006, serves as the hub of the College of Engineering’s biomedical research activities. Although Notre Dame began biomedical research later than many universities, faculty and students have been very successful in teaming with other institutions, with medical schools, and with a variety of industry partners nationwide, including several major orthopedic manufacturers located in Warsaw, Indiana. This facility houses laboratories for nano-mechanical characterization, biomaterials processing and characterization, cell and tissue culture, and tissue engineering. A tribology laboratory, tissue mechanics lab, manufacturing area, biomedical imaging lab, and histology and specimen preparation area are also part of the facility.
Undergraduate education and research initiatives are perhaps the most easily viewed in the newest engineering structure, Stinson-Remick Hall of Engineering. It features an expanded, centrally located learning center, the McCourtney Learning Center, that is nearly four times the size of the experimental center that was originally located in Cushing Hall. The building alsohouses the Center for Nano Science and Technology, with its associated nano- and micro-device fabrication and processing facilities, and the Notre Dame Energy Center. Key laboratories of the Advanced Diagnostics and Therapeutics Initiative at Notre Dame and the U.S. Department of Energy sponsored Energy Frontier Research Center focusing on the materials science of actinides are also housed here.
The building was named Stinson-Remick Hall in honor of principal benefactors Kenneth and Ann Stinson and Jack and Mary Ann Remick. Stinson is a 1964 Notre Dame graduate and a member of the Board of Trustees. Jack Remick, a 1959 graduate, is a member of the University’s advisory council for the College of Engineering and a gift from Mary Ann Remick created an endowment for visiting fellows at Notre Dame’s Center for Ethics and Culture.
The learning center is named in honor of major benefactors Ted and Tracy McCourtney. A 1960 Notre Dame graduate, Ted McCourtney is an emeritus member of the Board of Trustees.
Wind Tunnel Turbine Compressor Building
A 10,000-sq.-ft., $1.9 million facility, the White Field facility is part of the Center for Flow Physics and Control. In addition to a new $3 million dollar wind tunnel that features an 8-ft. diameter fan and requires a 1,750-horsepower motor, the facility houses a $.5 million compressor (formerly housed in the Hessert Laboratory) and a new $1.8 million turbine. Construction was completed in January 2008.